Sunday, July 25, 2010

follow the sun

Apparently, violets are the famous flower of Toulouse. I have yet to see any growing anywhere, but violet flavored and scented things are sold in every little shop. Now, eating something that tastes like a flower did not sound appealing to me, but when I walked into the little chocolatier on Rue du Taur and saw the little purple violet macaron cookie, well, I just had to try it. (I also bought a caramel one just in case I had to get rid of a nasty flower taste in my mouth.)


And then I attempted artsy (read: out of focus) photos on the train ride over to the charming village of Albi.


(10 points if you know which book that is)

I think the chocolatier cheated a little bit because the violet one tasted slightly berry-like. Not complaining, it was delicious. As was the caramel one.

I really enjoy taking train rides across the countryside. It is beautiful! There are all of these fields of giant, hand-sized sunflowers everywhere, in addition to corn fields, wheat fields, and who knows what else (not an expert farmer). 


Noemi and I are now going to go make a dinner of cassoulet (famous soup/sausage dish of Toulouse), steak, baguettes, and salad. Yum! Stay tuned for more on our day trip to Albi!

3 comments:

  1. YEAH!!! 10 points for Natalie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo-hoo. I am secretly so obsessed with that book and no one knows it (hence the secret). I've actually only read it once but something about the book stuck in my head and I remember like every detail about it. so weird. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete